The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Why is this a predominately female forum?

Hey I'm truly obsessed and I'm still here!:king:

To be perfectly honest, I like Emma, but I was more obsessed when her hair was long and she was acting in Harry Potter. I think I like her much more as Hermione than actual Emma. Still would love to meet her and all, but I'm not bending over backwards for her.

Good question...I don't know, maybe girls just feel more like chatting about her, while guys keep their obsession a secret? :P

Yeah...if ALL the guys were talking about what's really going on inside of them, a lot of us would prob end up in a ward or something....

Well, I will reply with another question. Are forums in general have more male or female members? I have no idea what the statistics are. I have a feeling they are more female based in general so that could answer the question!

^To answer Arie's question. A lot of the forums I look at or am on are mainly male dominated forums! Depends on the topic really.

My guess is that there are lots of girls because they think Emma is a great role model/great looker. And she makes for juicy chick gossip! :P

And guys would rather just google image Emma or look at all the controversial pics instead. Actual fans that want to discuss her will be on here but a lot of guys only want to....... yeah.

Also, kind of an embarrassing moment if a guy gets caught on this forum, not so much for girls.

Checking the registrations for the forum, I find roughly..

50% female

35% male

15% undecided (not telling)

For some reason it's only counting about half the members, but this is probably a good statistical sampling. So, I don't think the membership is that lopsided, but the females are maybe more active which makes it seem so.

I don't know the right answer, but I think that...

- Girls tend to be obsessed about somebody (celebrity in this case) more than most guys do.

- There are more girls than guys in the world.

- A lot of girls feel the need to share their thoughts and feeling with another people; more than guys do(usually).

- Girls tend to be obsessed about somebody (celebrity in this case) more than most guys do.

Err not really. At least not for a female celebrity for what i know of. It's just that girls usually talk more in general, they're more active on different forums like the girls forums or the games forums or the shipper forums etc. As far as i'm concerned when it comes to HP or Emma news i see a lot of boys chatting if not more.

Err not really. At least not for a female celebrity for what i know of.

Oh, you're right; you convinced me [/sarcasm]

Nah, I'm kidding... Anyways, as far I know, and generalizing, guys are more interested on how the female celebrity looks than what she does. But girls are interested about her life in general. That makes that girls spend more time reading about the celebrity than guys would.

Of course, it's just my opinion.

Obviously it was censored because sausage is okay (in fact more then okay, sausages rock) however, if you mention a s******fest people would just get to excited over the prospect of a festival of sausages....shhhhh

But yeah I agree, there are plenty of forums which are more male dominated, any warhammer one for example...

Forums about games or about gaming are mostly male dominated...because well, sadly there are less female gamers.

Why those particular forums have more females than males? Not sure, maybe Hermione has more female fans and therefore Emma too. Maybe HP is not considered cool for guys or being on a forum about a celebrity. Maybe there is not enough dirty talk about Emma here for those kind of fans(and I am thankful for that).

I would also venture to think that females are more prone to talk (like Dina mentioned :yesyes: ), and be more relationship (friendship)-oriented. Emma Watson, for instance, is a great role model for many younger (and even older than Emma, herself) women.

So, naturally, they'd be interested in the span of her life and what she does (not, *maybe*, what she looks like), although guys can be--of course--interested in both. Do I make any sense? I don't want to ramble.

But yeah, this is a really interesting topic. And I like both questions: why is this a predominantly female forum? And, what are the statistics?

I know that this is a great place for discussions on both a public level (forum posting) and private level (chat, instant messaging, private messaging). It's always reassuring to begin to know someone better and connect with them if they've been through similar experience to yourself. I suppose that's another factor as well.

There are some forums that appeal more to females, and there are some that are more male orientated. This forum appeals to both sexes. At the risk of being accused of being sexist, imo, girls tend to talk more, they discuss things, in general they are more open. Guys bottle up their feelings, and are sometimes reticent to put their views across. :blush:

I think this forum has a good mixture of people from both sexes, there are some good discussions, and generally everybody gets along well together. :)

I was wondering this myself. I remember on the old forums we had a poll to see how many members of what gender we had. It turned out we had more girls. I'm going to say it's just because a lot of guys don't talk much I guess? I dunno. Or a lot are lurkers for the photos or something. But I think mainly I agree with the bottom statements:

Maybe because she doesn't go out of her way to give us much to drool about ?

Because all the obsessed guys go over the top and get banned lol