The Emma-Watson.net Forum

Suggestions, Questions for Emma's Official site

This is likely because people are trying to breathe life into things and then there's not enough time to complete it. Which happens. Such is life. There are a million things I'd like to do with my life, but sadly I'll probably only get to about 750 thousand of those things. ;)

I mean, you're literally, at this very moment, inside a thread that shows someone was very earnestly trying to cater to whims and whatnot. This is MUCH more input than you would have gotten in pretty much any other case. If some things didn't work out, it's not for lack of trying, but simply because sometimes ideas don't work.

Well yes, but they work or don't work for reasons. What I imagined was this: Emma pays a monthly/ annual fee for the site and everything that pertains to it. The site is updated regularly. Every now and then, the website designers approach her with an idea to make good on their side of the deal, or remind her of certain staples (was there a 'Christmas Q&A' before? I wouldn't know). They send her some questions, she sends back some answers (didn't she imply she's addicted to her phone anyways?).

We've cleared up that this is not exactly how it works, and I appreciate that Jo asked for some fan input in this thread. I also really appreciate the fact that -maybe- Emma keeps the site running as a hub for her fans.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, you're literally, at this very moment, inside a thread that shows someone was very earnestly trying to cater to whims and whatnot.

It would be wonderful if there would be some way to use my time helping running a perfect homepage for her then having entertaining arguments with you, ling. But I fear that a certain lady is more consulting resistant than we think ....

I can't comment on the way the specific agency that Emma works with does things. Is it the way I would do it? No. Is it uncommon for websites to go without being updated constantly? No. Is it the designer's job to keep a client up to date with their website? Not always. We don't know what the agency is suggesting, you don't know what Emma is suggesting. I can merely give you guys educated guesses based off what I know and my extensive knowledge of how these kinds of things work. You guys want answers, so I take time to try and give you answers. :P If you're happy to sit in the dark and make speculations over things that are frankly unlikely to happen and sometimes impossible, that's fine, I'll stop. :yesyes:

speculations over things that are frankly unlikely to happen and sometimes impossible.

Running a homepage propperly, I have paid for????? If this is so, I would recommend that she should talk urgently with her parents. They are lawyers and the agency would love it to hear from them....

Edited by Jonny Claus jr.

That's fine and thanks for sharing some insights, really. As long as we know next to nothing why Emma communicates (or doesn't) in certain ways with her fans, I'll keep making use of my constitutional right to whine like a neglected puppy. :puh:

Running a homepage propperly, I have paid for????? If this is so, I would recommend that she should talk urgently with her parents. They are lawyers and the agency would love it to hear from them....

Unless you're in Emma's bank account, you don't know what she does/doesn't pay for.

Unless you're in Emma's bank account, you don't know what she does/doesn't pay for.

Hah, you hit the spot! I think for some time now, that she pays nothing for the page (in a sense that she has a contract for running the side), and that her agency does the page on a "voluntary" basis. And given the fact, that Emma is very "private" (and so not really interested in a real communication with her fans), the half-hearted performance of the site would make sense. As I said yesterday, dook and his team doing a great (unpayed) job for a page, near to that I understand as a pefect homepage.

No agency does anything voluntarily (and this is a big agency), but I would hazard that she pays a fee to keep the site running, and for minor maintenance, but not for frequent updates. Which is what I've said about a million times in this thread. Why pay for something she isn't going to use?

Why then running the side already? Close it and make a link to emma-watson.net. It's so easy....

BECAUSE the site STILL serves as a business card/ contact point. EVERYONE should own their own name domain for the expressed purpose of having SOMEWHERE to direct people. And having full control over your own name.

And for the millionth time, re-directing to a fan site would not be legal. She already DOES link to some fan sites. But a full re-direct would be putting her name on something she has no control over, which WOULD NOT HAPPEN.

And for the millionth time, re-directing to a fan site would not be legal. She already DOES link to some fan sites. But a full re-direct would be putting her name on something she has no control over, which WOULD NOT HAPPEN.

As I said, her parents are lawyers. And I think dook would be delighted to sign a contract about does and don'ts...... And I am on this page a lot and didn't find anything harmful to her. And I futher think, dook and his team would not alow such things, with or without contract.

Millionth time? Not possible with 332 posts, ling....

Oh, and please NO SHOUTING. I have bad eyes, but I hear very well.... :yesyes:

It doesn't matter because Dook would have the same problems that Jo has re: not being able to post news until an official announcement has been made (E-W.net can post rumours which gives them an edge), not being able to use photos from events because they don't have the licensing, etc.

You DO know that Jo got the job on the official site because she started E-W.net, right? It doesn't matter who you put in that position, they're still going to be limited in what they can/cannot do.

It doesn't matter because Dook would have the same problems that Jo has re: not being able to post news until an official announcement has been made (E-W.net can post rumours which gives them an edge), not being able to use photos from events because they don't have the licensing, etc.

You DO know that Jo got the job on the official site because she started E-W.net, right? It doesn't matter who you put in that position, they're still going to be limited in what they can/cannot do.

Ling, in my now nearly 50 years on this planet I made the experience, that there is rarely a problem, you cannot solve, if you really want. Maybe in 20-30 years you will agree with me. You can make agreements, side-letters, can involve important partners (like photographers, designers, makeup-artist ecc) in you page, god, why is the whole thing so cumbersome?

I will not comment on Jo and her achievments, but did she really left THIS page to work in such a tight corset of prohibitions of the official page? If this is so, I bow.......

BECAUSE the site STILL serves as a business card/ contact point. EVERYONE should own their own name domain for the expressed purpose of having SOMEWHERE to direct people.

Though in that case, ads/ broken links/ announcements of things that never happen might be really counter-productive :rolleye:

Though in that case, ads/ broken links/ announcements of things that never happen might be really counter-productive :rolleye:

I think we all remember my Great Temper Tantrum over ads on the site. So it's safe to say I agree. Also I know that Jo said they're working on it. As I said, it's not the way that *I* would manage things, but I don't manage the site so not much I can do there, but explain what might be going on.

I think we all remember my Great Temper Tantrum over ads on the site. So it's safe to say I agree. Also I know that Jo said they're working on it. As I said, it's not the way that *I* would manage things, but I don't manage the site so not much I can do there, but explain what might be going on.

I think it would be less irritating if Emma's stance on this were clear. Right now the site is very much made up like a ressource of information for everyone. If it serves a business purpose first and foremost, don't even ask for fan input/ interaction (and clean up the structure a bit). If it's there for fans, make sure that things don't always dry up so quickly (I think I agree with Jonny here if I say that's manageable).

Well, I think they serve different purposes. Emma's site is professional. And we have AMAZING fan sites that serve their purpose of keeping fans entertained.

But it makes a big difference, if it is HER page (= her messages, her words, her .....) or a fan-page with second-hand gossip. It is really a BIG difference.....

And we have AMAZING fan sites that serve their purpose of keeping fans entertained.

True. That's not the point though. I think we can agree that a site to which Emma personally contributes offers value a fan site can't. OTOH, like I said... put up a small, sharp site that shows off your professional achievements if that's all you want from it. No disappointed parties there.

Actually, you tend to get news faster on gossip sites because they're not legally bound to wait until an official announcement is made before they report a new role, etc.

No, it is more a emotional thing. Knowing the she was really thinking about a message means more then news on a fan-page.

Now you're questioning the very fundaments of fandom. This is... heresy :0_0:

Haha yeah sorry. I've just never been the sort to "get it." Generally speaking, I don't care what people do as long as it's not hurting anyone. I have some very good drunken rants on this topic. ;)

But... why? Why do you need an emotional connection with a girl you don't know?

Yes. Because I personally think, that a "relationship" between a "celebrity" and a "fan" should never be a "one way" - thing. Is "fandom" not having "emotions" for somebody? I mean, I was never a "fan" of a actress or an actor until this dark November-evening 2011 in that dusty library of the hospital. Until that day I watched many, many movies, said (f.e.) to me "oh, Sharon Stone is good in that picture", and that was that. I would not care if Sharon Stone would send me a message today, because I am not a fan of her. Beeing a fan means to let somebody in your life, making him some sort of part of your life in a way that you want to know what's comming up, what's happening ........

So, and this is my credo, interaction with the fans is a important part of the life of a actress/actor. You can do it very intense, like Bonnie Wright with daily tweets and messages or in a more shy way like Emma does it (a message now and then, sometimes realy heartwarming, sometimes only for insiders).