#361 Emma_Rules

Emma_Rules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Virginia

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

that review is sort of crappy...Emma was never 'wooden' in the role of Hermione, if anything she was the lively heart of that wizarding world, the brightest witch of her generation. i hate critics, who 99.8% of the time are not actors, or have anything to do with film, stage, drama, or performance of any kind. excuse me, there was plenty of drugs and alcohol in the film, the abuse/rape theme is handled in a more between the lines manner, and i think the screenwriter/author/director realized the abortion theme would have been too much in a secondary character, and distract too much from the primary story in the amount of time available. not all material can ever make it into a low-medium budget film. i loved all three main characters, but my obvious bias aside, i thought Emma lit up the screen as Sam. wow!

good_music_zps1def08f8.gif

#362 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Mood::excited by tangents ô.Ô
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Just got around to watching it.

I don't think it's "breakfast club for a new generation", I don't think there are enough iconic elements that everyone can relate to for that. Also I think it the cuts were a little counter-intuitive. I did enjoy the humorous bits though.

As for Emma, I can't quite see the bubbly promiscuous girl she's meant to portray. I think our Emma is still a little too subdued for that. Logan was mostly delightful though.

I had heard that the film was "dark", or as Letterman said, "it makes adolescence seem terror-filled and dark". I don't think so at all. On the contrary, not everyone overcomes psychological disorders so easily, and not everyone can live out their sexuality after being abused as a child. I hear the book is quite a bit darker though, which would seem like a good thing.

"Ok, well, the 'hot bod' is not a characteristic."

#363 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Just got around to watching it.

I don't think it's "breakfast club for a new generation", I don't think there are enough iconic elements that everyone can relate to for that. Also I think it the cuts were a little counter-intuitive. I did enjoy the humorous bits though.

As for Emma, I can't quite see the bubbly promiscuous girl she's meant to portray. I think our Emma is still a little too subdued for that. Logan was mostly delightful though.

I had heard that the film was "dark", or as Letterman said, "it makes adolescence seem terror-filled and dark". I don't think so at all. On the contrary, not everyone overcomes psychological disorders so easily, and not everyone can live out their sexuality after being abused as a child. I hear the book is quite a bit darker though, which would seem like a good thing.

Yeah I bought the book so I can read it before watching the film, the book has more to offer. I feel that there's a balance between the book and the film.

They had to make the film digestible for younger fellas than me and you, that film rating discussion that went on another topic or here.

I loved the book and the film.

2ynmikm.jpg

#364 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

They had to make the film digestible for younger fellas than me and you, that film rating discussion that went on another topic or here.

That, and he probably wanted to make the film more inspirational. 'Murricans.

Oh, and the German voice-overs were OMG horrible.

#365 Elena

Elena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

That, and he probably wanted to make the film more inspirational. 'Murricans.

i had english subs.

2ynmikm.jpg

#366 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

Who, by god, watches this movie in German???  :o :o

"Benutze es!" = "Use it!"

„Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.” John Updike

#367 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Who, by god, watches this movie in German???  :o :o

Me. It's a habit. I watched all the HP movies in German before watching the originals because I really found people's pronounciation in HP to be really hard to understand. Might not be the case with Perks though.

#368 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

Me. It's a habit. I watched all the HP movies in German before watching the originals because I really found people's pronounciation in HP to be really hard to understand. Might not be the case with Perks though.

You need a very long holiday in Great Britain. Mainly Scotland and Wales. Then you will understand everything.

i hate critics, who 99.8% of the time are not actors, or have anything to do with film, stage, drama, or performance of any kind.

Hmm, I was working 28 years in different jobs in the movie business..... mainly as producer, scriptwriter and cutter.... so....

Shortcut: I found the book more intense and better then the movie.... But this has nothing to do with the performances of the actors....

„Dreams come true; without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.” John Updike

#369 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Shortcut: I found the book more intense and better then the movie.... But this has nothing to do with the performances of the actors....

Speaking of which, I think I've given Emma too little credit. So: for Emma personally, this movie really was a huge leap. She did seem much more liberated, and I'm really looking forward to see more of her in the same vein (read: Bling Ring).

#370 Emma_Rules

Emma_Rules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

i watched the film again last night, and it was again amazing to see her range of emotion throughout the movie. i love the bedroom scene when she gives Charlie the typewriter present and a first kiss. i liked her bedroom with lights, and that her bed was messy and clothes were hanging on the chair. too many films have bedrooms that don't look lived in, too much like a set piece. her bedroom definitely looked and felt like her persona in the film. i still feel that the film is a more realistic approach to the book's subject matter, given that it is a visual medium, and i felt more sympathetic to her character and others, in the third-person viewing context, than in the book's first-person letters format.

#371 Badab

Badab

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

I watched the film last night, too. I think Stephen Chbosky has made a good job to bring his book into a movie. That is sometimes more risky than it seems. He Cut off some storielines - many with candice, and has given the story more speed. Nothing bad for a film.

The cast was good two. I lied Logan and Ezra has supriesed me and Emma was of course fantastic. All ot them have given me a believabel interpretation of the charakters.

And afterwards i needes some time to resume the film. So it´s a good one for me.

But now when i held the book in my hands again. I have to say that it has his one charming sense and gives the charakters an other special view, beause its Charlie who sees them and jugeges over them in some way.

I can´t say i love the book or the film more. i love both and maybe the film a litte bit more, because of the music and Emma.

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely. And Rhaegar died" - Jorah Mormont about Rhaegar Targaryen from A Storm of Swords.

coldplanet64bannercolor.png

Combi made by the talented cutiesmartgurl!

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.
Nescio. Sed fieri sentio et excucior.
>> I hate and i love. Why i do this, you maybe want to know.
Don´t know. But i feel, that i get true it, an i feel great torment.<<

carmen 85 by Catull

#372 Emma_Rules

Emma_Rules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

i listened to Stephen Chbosky's commentary as writer/director/producer/screenwriter, and he says that the entire cast, including Emma, Logan, and Ezra, worked for base scale pay on this film, and gave it their all. he praises the cast as his dream cast. i am even further impressed with the talented and beautiful miss Watson.

#373 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

he praises the cast as his dream cast. i am even further impressed with the talented and beautiful miss Watson.

I am just a bit mystified by the reasons he might have had to dream of Emma playing this role. I'm not knocking her performance, as I've said I think she's done an ok job. But when reading Sam's part I don't think many people would think of Emma first. So if we rule out the most obvious reason for casting her (greed, i.e. tickets sold), I'd like to know what exactly made him think of Emma.

#374 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

I am just a bit mystified by the reasons he might have had to dream of Emma playing this role. I'm not knocking her performance, as I've said I think she's done an ok job. But when reading Sam's part I don't think many people would think of Emma first. So if we rule out the most obvious reason for casting her (greed, i.e. tickets sold), I'd like to know what exactly made him think of Emma.

Following the story, she was one of the actresses who got the script "for consideration". She did not want to do it first because of university, but then she read it (on a Eurostar-train from Paris to London, I think) and she fell in love with the story and boarded the production. And she visited all the big studio-bosses in Hollywood to  get the budget for the movie (so the story goes).

#375 Badab

Badab

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Yeah i heard that before. She helped the film a lot. But i understand Sacred because as i read it i know it would be Emma playing Sam but it could have been another actress to. Why Chosby saw Emma in Sam i don´t know but i´m glad he did.

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely. And Rhaegar died" - Jorah Mormont about Rhaegar Targaryen from A Storm of Swords.

carmen 85 by Catull

#376 Emma_Rules

Emma_Rules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

I am just a bit mystified by the reasons he might have had to dream of Emma playing this role.

if i ever make a film short of a girl painting a wall, whether it be latex enamel, acrylic, or water-base, my dream would be Emma. no audition necessary. :wub:

#377 Badab

Badab

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

So you think, he is a fan of her or "has a crush" on her?

carmen 85 by Catull

#378 Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

We've all dreamed of filming Emma painting a wall, paint splattering everywhere... "Ooh, I think I need a shower!". Ehm... but that doesn't sound like a feasible reason to cast her in a feature film.

#379 Jonny Carinthia

Jonny Carinthia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

So you think, he is a fan of her or "has a crush" on her?

Every mentally sane man has a chrush on her. And he is a good businessman, either!

#380 Badab

Badab

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:35 PM

Why does Brad Pitt stay by Angelina then?

Sacred i would get her true an action scene to get her get a shower? Don´y you think after a hard fright against some Foe or an walk true an desert she would like water more, then after painting a wall.

carmen 85 by Catull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users