#1 Bright_Star

Bright_Star

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

I don't think there is a topic about this yet.

You probably all know what a gender identity disorder is. To quote wikipedia: ...is the formal diagnosis used by psychologists and physicians to describe persons who experience significant gender dysphoria (discontent with their biological sex and/or the gender they were assigned at birth).

I know two people with gender identity disorders. Last year, I joined the school's theatre club for the sixth time and there was a girl participating who once told us all during a rehearsal that she wanted to be a boy. It was totally accepted by everyone, and since then, everyone considers her a boy.
The second is my former best friend. There is this girl who I used to be best friends with for more than six or seven years. We lost contact a few years ago. Recently I was added on Facebook by someone called "Eric". The surname was familiar to me, so I accepted the request. Not much later I found out it was her (now him). You can imagine that, even though I have nothing against it, I felt quite shocked. She had always been quite masculine, but this was something I hadn't expected at all.

What is your opinion on gender identity disorder? Do you know people who have it? Like I said, I have nothing against it, in fact, I admire people who openly tell everyone that they feel they want to do this. It's a process that takes years and includes many conversations with a psychologist before one can actually undergo surgery.

Posted Image

Credits to Jade for my avatar and BoMa for my sig! <3

#2 Maestro

Maestro

Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 1,156 posts
  • Mood::Shiny!
  • LocationRoom 313

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

When I lived in a boarding school there were two boys named Koen en Emiel who had this. We all considered it quite normal, after a while we called them by their girl names and they chose(Kirsten en Eske). For all intents and purposes we considered them as girls. Although I lost contact with them, the fact that they had this never was a problem for me or the people I lived with. Only of course when people were angry at them...but I guess that's human nature.

Posted Image

The M.A.D. Files - Talking about games, films, games, life, games, internet and games
Is it a bird?! Is it a plane?! Is it Superman?! No, it's Maestro's twitter!
He also makes videos...so if you would want to watch them...probably not...

He's immortal, born in the lowlands of the Netherlands 33 years ago, he's not alone, there are others like him, some good, some evil, for decades he has battled the forces of darkness with Emma-Watson.net his only refuge. He cannot die, unless you take his head and with it his admin powers, in the end there can be only one, he's Maestro - The Forum Admin

#3 Karen

Karen

Dedicated Member

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Mood::Tired..what else is new =P
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:21 PM

This is the same thing as being transgender, right? I did a research paper on this my frosh year of college :D I wrote about the support systems for gay, tranvestite, and transgender peoples! It was really sad actually - those groups have a higher rate of suicide and depression because they aren't getting the right support system.

I have a friennd named Zack, who used to be Michelle - she slowly changed over the years, first changing her sex on facebook then putting Zack as her middle name, then fully changing her name...etc. He's great! we speak spanish together :D when she was still a woman (which I guess she TECHNICALLY is because she hasn't had any operations yet to my knowledge) she was a lesbian. So now I guess that because she's a guy she's straight? Not sure. The only thing that throws me off is the pronouns - i never know whether to call her "her" or "him" or "she", "he" etc. Because *I* remember her as michelle/mitch so it's weird to think of her as a guy now. I accept it and the choice that she's made, OF COURSE. I think that's such a brave thing to do!
Posted Image
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Ninja Crew! <3
Daughter:Amber. Auntie: Sarah. Sisters: Prongs, Stefanie, and lindalumos. Brother: Ardi.

#4 Carlyn

Carlyn

Energetic member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

I had a male friend in highschool who now identifies himself as female. During high school, most people thought he was gay because he was very effeminate. When he graduated from high school, he distanced himself from his friends and then came back as woman. At first it was very shocking meeting her again but I quickly accepted his well I should say her new identity. I think my friend finally feels comfortable with herself as it must have been such a burden in high school to pretend to be someone she was not.

#5 Mrs Duck

Mrs Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:16 AM

Wow this topics shows this is more common than I thought!

When I started high school one of the guys (to me he was always male) in my class was George. I never even thought he looked feminine and it took a year before I found out he was actually born a girl. He started taking hormones when I became "friends" with him and he quickly erased any feminine look about himself.
Even today he still biologically a girl but in his passport and in everything else he's a man. He's gone through some rough patches though and leaned towards becoming a woman again (which I find difficult to think he'll ever be) but most of the time he's a man. :) In most senses of the word. He sure looks like one.

Edited by Mrs Duck, 18 September 2011 - 08:17 AM.

#6 flying kiwi

flying kiwi

Advanced Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Sunny England

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

I went to school with a boy who wanted to be a girl, I knew him before he sort of came out (if you can use that term in this case) but not very well, I then got to know him better when he was open about what he was and was there through the transition period of Daniel to Tanya.

Posted Image

#7 Lady Deadpool

Lady Deadpool

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,194 posts
  • Mood::blue
  • LocationMars

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:25 PM

A thing i hate when it comes to transgenders is when people say "they go too far. We understand he likes men so he can be gay, why does he have to change into a woman" and vice versa. I mean that's not even the point. It's not about who they like, it's about who they are, what gender they identify themselves with. It must be horrible for a person to feel like a woman and be trapped into a man's body and the opposite and when finally finds the courage to change that, many people point at them or they don't even support them.

those groups have a higher rate of suicide and depression because they aren't getting the right support system.

I don't know the scientific or phsycological reasons that cause gender identity disorder, and i don't know any transgender in real life, but i totally understand that statement above^ And it's sad.

I'm Yin, Widu is Yang.

Tumblr || Twitter || Instagram

Earth House!

#8 Bright_Star

Bright_Star

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

A thing i hate when it comes to transgenders is when people say "they go too far. We understand he likes men so he can be gay, why does he have to change into a woman" and vice versa. I mean that's not even the point. It's not about who they like, it's about who they are, what gender they identify themselves with. It must be horrible for a person to feel like a woman and be trapped into a man's body and the opposite and when finally finds the courage to change that, many people point at them or they don't even support them.

I don't know the scientific or phsycological reasons that cause gender identity disorder, and i don't know any transgender in real life, but i totally understand that statement above^ And it's sad.

I agree with you, that's not the point at all! And indeed, it must be horrible...I find it very brave of these people to be able to tell who they really want to be.

Posted Image

Credits to Jade for my avatar and BoMa for my sig! <3

#9 i love emma

i love emma

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,997 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

havent scientists linked this to genetics, such as people stuck in the wrong body?

i find this so interesting but quite confusing still
Posted Image
Emma Watson I Love You
Posted Image
Proud Member of The Earth House!
Earth house badge by Tom
Winner of boys award - Weirdest Member!

My Epic E-family:
Bigger Bro:The Dude Big Bro:Slash Lil Bro:Reznov Amazing Uncle:Dax Cool Cousins:Andrew, Michael, LoverBoy My blood-sister : Hymn

#10 Data Vampire

Data Vampire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEternal Encryption

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

niggawut? Gender Identity Disorder? You know you live in a hetero-normative society when transgenders are considered mentally ill.

#11 Revan

Revan

• Wind
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Mood::Love
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

I thought about making this topic. I wasn't sure. I'm so glad someOne did. <3

I guess You could say I have "GID". I don't like the name because - frankly - it's not a disorder. Biologically, I am male; internally, I have ALWAYS felt immensely, immensely female. I simply do what is natural to Me, and Our society labels that "female". So, I am a girl in a boy's body. For now.

GID is like non-physical medical condition: sometimes it's genetic, sometimes it happens for no apparent reason, sometimes it's externally caused. In My particular case, I have no idea. I've never looked at My genome, though I do genuinely desire to.

Being gay or lesbian is NOT the same thing as being transgender. Someone who's homosexual likes the same sex, whereas a transgender person simply feels like and identifies as the opposite sex, which is completely and utterly independent of orientation. Just like anybody else, transgender people have their own unique orientation.

It's ... a scary experience, to say the least. It's one thing to question a quality about the Self, it's entirely another matter to question THE SELF ITSELF which is exactly what GID is.

I'm not quite open about mine yet. My close friends know, I'm preparing to tell My family.. which is why I'm alright with posting this on the internet, of course.

I'm no expert, and I cannot offer professional advice, but I can answer from a personal perspective any questions anyOne may have. And really, ask anything - I'll answer it all.

~Revan

Edited by Revan, 05 March 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Who I am is not important; only my message is.

Slytherin House

#12 Revan

Revan

• Wind
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Oh, I also don't identify as transgender .. at all. The word transgender assumes the person has ever been anything but what They truly are. I'm a girl, always have been, always will be. :)

~Revan

Slytherin House

#13 Midnight Toker

Midnight Toker

Energetic member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:07 AM

I guess I should try my best to educate people on this. First of all, we do not like the term Gender Identity Disorder. We find it to be hurtful and incorrect.

Transgender is an umbrella term used to describe people who do not feel like they are in the right body. I fall under the term transsexual, meaning that I want to change my outside to match my inside which is male. Gender is not as binary as people think. It's all about gender continuum. We all move in the spectrum of male and female each and every day. I can go more into that if anyone wants more info on it. I actually recently got credited to teach gender so I'm kinda excited about it. :D

Most transmen do not get a "sex change" because it's not beneficial. I'm not going to go into details on how that works because it gets kinda graphic.

Revan brings up a good point too about our genes. There was actually a test done (which I can find the results for that if anyone is interested) that brings up how transgenderism is linked to our genes. Also, there are a lot of people who might be intersex and not even know it. I had a friend who was cysgender (meaning that you are okay with the gender you were assigned at birth) and she has a Y chromosome. She had no clue she was intersex until she had a test done. So there you go.

It's sad though that biology loves variety but society doesn't. We do things in such a black and white manner.

Revan, you sound awesome. Just be yourself. :)
Be true to yourself even when others do not understand.
Posted Image
PSN: rejecteddemo :: Steam :: Tumblr :: Deviant Art

#14 ling

ling

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

I admit even though I am in the LGBTQ spectrum, I didn't know much about trans* people until I became friends with a guy who was/is trans (he makes videos on YouTube as drunkenlullaby52, which are super interesting if anyone wants to learn more about transitioning and what's required to transition, etc). But yeah, I have total respect for trans* people and the pressures they face. Even LGB people can be very exclusive of trans and queer/questioning people because most LGB people are still cisgender and Ts and Qs are about gender perception rather than sexuality. So the trans* community is very small and doesn't have a lot of support, so it's extra hard for people who fall in that category.

#15 Revan

Revan

• Wind
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

Oh, I suppose I'll post here again now that the topic is on a roll, again.

A bit's happened since I posted my bit up there. I finally came out to my family; did not go well.

@Wunderbar and ling: Where do you identify in the spectrum?

~Revan

Slytherin House

#16 ling

ling

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:59 PM

Oh I am entirely cisgender. I mean, I don't believe in binary gender, but I fit comfortably into the role that generally comes with my assigned biological sex.

#17 Revan

Revan

• Wind
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

Oh I am entirely cisgender. I mean, I don't believe in binary gender, but I fit comfortably into the role that generally comes with my assigned biological sex.

Ah, alrighty. (: Just curious. Thanks! <3

~Rev

Slytherin House

#18 Nike

Nike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

I don't like the phrasing "gender identity disorder". It sounds like there is something wrong; like it wasn't meant to be... :blink:

I guess people who have it do want to switch... but I still don't like the phrasing. :P

#19 ling

ling

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, no way it should be a disorder... although giving it a clinical name DOES make it a bit more accessible to people who don't understand (i.e. it's harder to say "they're making it up" if there's an actual *diagnosis* attached), BUT it also implies that, like many disorders, there could be a "cure" for it... and most people see the cure as making the person stick to their biologically assigned gender, rather than the actual "cure" of gender reassignment.

Homosexuality was classified as a mental illness until recently in most developed countries (and still is classified as such by some), so I think trans* people still have a long way to go, unfortunately. :(

#20 Revan

Revan

• Wind
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, no way it should be a disorder... although giving it a clinical name DOES make it a bit more accessible to people who don't understand (i.e. it's harder to say "they're making it up" if there's an actual *diagnosis* attached), BUT it also implies that, like many disorders, there could be a "cure" for it... and most people see the cure as making the person stick to their biologically assigned gender, rather than the actual "cure" of gender reassignment.

Homosexuality was classified as a mental illness until recently in most developed countries (and still is classified as such by some), so I think trans* people still have a long way to go, unfortunately. :(

Couldn't have said it better myself, ling.

~R

Slytherin House

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)