The Emma-Watson.net Forum

The Ron and Hermione Thread

LOL!!!!! I dont even let my husband's remarks get to me LOL I LOVE IT!!! ;) Oh yes I have been on the other end of HP ridicule from my family too-they dont know what they are missing I tell yas!! My older brother was REALLY laying it on thick on me-he was all like where are you going to see HP for the midnight show? I want to drive by and yell out losers! I stood my ground and said you dont know what you are missing and you are just jealous ;)

R/Hr-yes I didnt start to ship them til OOTP- I didnt really think about a couple in the series until OOTP and again R/E freakin rockin chemistry just added to my love for R/Hr. That was when I read OOTP, HBP, and DH of course and then started the series from PS/SS...have to say made me fall in love with their lil love story from when they were younger even-"you've got dirt on your nose" LOL Priceless... from there it was all as they say history!

Off today!!! We have ice and snow!! Lots of it!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm an adult too, and I've always discussed HP at work and my friends also know I love the series...

I really don't care if I am judged for being a HP fan. Not even my husband's remarks bother me. :P

The way I see it, it's their loss that they are not into such a wonderful world, not mine. :)

Oh yeah I know, and I agree. Shame on me.

Oh I know!! I should do it! :blush: But I'm afraid to be disappointed with the movies. Maybe one day I'll read them.

Luciana, sometime I do wish that I didn't wait to read the books after all the movies. Just for the very same reasons as you said (But I'm afraid to be disappointed with the movies.) I wonder if I had liked them (the movies) more.

I have a friend who isn't much of a book reader, she tried to read them but couldn't get into the books but she loves the movies a lot more than I do.

Oh yes, there is a hug in the book too, just not where the movie one exists. Yes. :)

I'm not sure if it was due to HP being a 'children' book or what, but I wasn't really expecting romance, but I really didn't read much into things when it happened.

Or maybe because, up to that point, I was only absorbed in Harry's journey.

I started being a R/Hr shipper only after reading the 4th book, as it was the first time Hermione expressed so clearly that she liked Ron back.

Until that point, Ron had been the obvious one, but as far as Hermione was concerned, I didn't know where she stood.

So yeah, GoF was the turning point for me. Now R/Hr were both obvious and started shipping them. :)

When I first started reading the books in late 2005, after HBP had been released, I already knew it was going to be a seven part book series and that each book encompassed one year in the trio's lives. So, they would be 17/18 at the end. And from a co-worker, who was a huge HP-fan, I had heard some talk about Harry having his first kiss. So when I started reading, I knew there would be some kind of romance sometime later in the series. I didn't specifically look out for clues though, R/Hr just was obvious to me. :) I wouldn't even say I shipped back then. I knew they were going to happen and I loved their dynamic and the prospect of a developing romantic relationship, but that was all. I guess I only started shipping when I joinded online fandom and became aware of the Shipping wars. Really the existense of H/Hr - no offense, honestly- baffled me. I can truthfully say it never crossed my mind as an option. Maybe I'm just single-minded and unimaginative though. LoL Anyway, the Shipping wars should have been over by that point in time since it was after HBP, but they were still going strong and I was drawn into it. Defending my ship and defending my favourite character so much, has been what made me a shipper.

LOL galadriel I was the SAME way-I had NO idea there were shipping wars happening either-to tell the truth when I joined fandom, I noticed that there were a few H/Hr shippers who were in few words to say, FREAKIN NUTTY...even when it was realized R/Hr would end up together (after HBP, really after GoF it was confirmed) people were still holding out hope for H/Hr-shudders at that thought. Like Emma said "Harry maybe the hero, but he is not the one for Hermione". The girl is so wise ;)

Sabine, I was the same about H/Hr. The first time I encountered H/Hr shipping was in the fanfiction section of the old forums and I was just like 'Why are H/Hr married? This is all wrong!' Up until that point I didn't even think there was any dispute about the relationships, I thought it was obvious.

Sometimes I wish I had first read the books at an older age, so I would have been able to pick up on all the little clues and foreshadowing and have the pleasure of seeing where it leads. At around eight years old (when I read the first four books) romance was the last thing to enter my brain, but even then I could see the way things were going at the Yule Ball. By the time we got to 'not as a last resort' I thought R/Hr was a given. Now I am able to look back at the books and retrace plotlines to the subtlest of clues, but part of me wishes I'd have been able to experience that properly the other way around. I wouldn't give up being a HP generation kid for anything, but as with anything,there are drawbacks.

Kristen, I am absolutely irrevocably in love with your siggy!

Katharine Thank you!! :) I know is it not the BEST scene? ;) I REALLY want a siggie where it shows Hermione placing her head on Ron's shoulder at the end-that was my favorite scene along with him holding her at Malfoy Manor. I really just want a poster of Ron holding Hermione on the cliff at the end-that is not too much to ask is it? ;)

Well whenever I have come across any H/Hr FF I want to burn my eyes! LOL Just ick...

cbmac, I think your brother is jealous. Yes!

I think more adults would secretly like to be more open about their choices and tastes and be able to unravel their inner-child and, as they simply can't, they pick on us! :P

Sabine, when I bought the first book in Dec 2000 (thanks to an English teacher at the time), the only thing I knew about Harry was that he was a wizard.

I was completely oblivious to the world which was going to unfold and I am grateful that I didn't know anything beforehand.

It was also a surprise, for me, that Harry was actually a growing kid! In the children literature, it is completely common for characters to be 'frozen' in time, so it really surprised me that Harry and his friends were actually growing up in each book.

When I started reading HP, there were only the first 3 available in Argentina (since the 4th was only published earlier that year and, at that time, it took ages for shipping to arrive in my country!) and I didn't even know there were going to be 7 in the end!

So I think it is very safe for me to say I didn't know what to expect at all in regards to HP.

R/Hr's romance was the most engaging 'subplot' though.

While I started suspecting something might be up with them, the lack of response from Hermione's part kept me at bay (although I don't understand why people ship/shipped H/Hr either, I must say).

As Katharine said, once she delivered her line in GoF though, it was a given. :D

So really, if people would have read the first 4 released books before watching the movies, there would be no H/Hr shippers at all!

As much as I like Dan, Rupert and Emma playing the main characters, I sometimes wonder what would have happened if WB waited for all the books to be completed before starting to shoot the movies.

Would they have been closer to the original? Would we have had a more 'canon' R/Hr relationship?

I guess we'll never know...

He is SO jealous vida ;) I tell him that every time I see him! LOL

That is a VERY interesting point ya raised about having had waited to have all 7 books released and then the movies vida! But then we wouldnt have had our R/Hr shipper forum or R/E shipper forum or meeting yall so I for one am grateful we got to watch the trio grow up in the books ;) But still that was an interesting point.

Oh I know!! I should do it! :blush: But I'm afraid to be disappointed with the movies. Maybe one day I'll read them.

:o This is indeed a startling revelation! Okay Luciana, That's IT! I'm coming to Argentina, seeking you out and bringing the HP books and a couple of cases of butterbeer with me (pumpkin juice for you). I'm brushing up on my Spanish (okay, so what if I've never spoken a word of it in my life) and we're going to sit down and read the series from start to finish. I've been reading the series the second time around (no comments from you Miss Katharine) for the last 6 months now (currently in the middle of Order of the Phoenix), so while it may take me a year to actually read the books to you we're going to get through them by hook or by crook! :unsure:

Which, by the way, leads me to my next question, which anyone can answer, but is especially directed towards Sirius Black fans (yes you Vida, and Kimberley if you're reading this) as I read through Order of the Phoenix again. While I'm not sure how everyone here rates the HP Series in order of most favorite to least favorite book, I know that a number of people I have spoken to do not regard Order of the Phoenix as highly as some of the other books in the series. So my question is how do Sirius Black fans and Ron/Hermione shippers view Order of the Phoenix? The reason I'm interested in this is because, to me, this is THE Harry/Sirius book in the series (I mean PoA was perhaps as much so, but ofc, Harry thought of Sirius much differently for most of that book) and I'm finding as I read it for the second time that it is moving up my personal rankings. I also feel like OOTP is the first time where we really see Ron starting to mature a little bit, where as in the past Ron was always willing to defend Hermione against insults and show his jealousy when she took an interest in other boys, this is where Ron finally seems to begin complimenting Hermione more often, either to her directly or to Harry. It seem Ron is growing and appreciating Hermione on a new level, although his maturity still has a long way to go at this point in the series. So any thought, opinions etc... on how others view OOTP are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :king:

:o This is indeed a startling revelation! Okay Luciana, That's IT! I'm coming to Argentina, seeking you out and bringing the HP books and a couple of cases of butterbeer with me (pumpkin juice for you). I'm brushing up on my Spanish (okay, so what if I've never spoken a word of it in my life) and we're going to sit down and read the series from start to finish. I've been reading the series the second time around (no comments from you Miss Katharine) for the last 6 months now (currently in the middle of Order of the Phoenix), so while it may take me a year to actually read the books to you we're going to get through them by hook or by crook! :unsure:

Which, by the way, leads me to my next question, which anyone can answer, but is especially directed towards Sirius Black fans (yes you Vida, and Kimberley if you're reading this) as I read through Order of the Phoenix again. While I'm not sure how everyone here rates the HP Series in order of most favorite to least favorite book, I know that a number of people I have spoken to do not regard Order of the Phoenix as highly as some of the other books in the series. So my question is how do Sirius Black fans and Ron/Hermione shippers view Order of the Phoenix? The reason I'm interested in this is because, to me, this is THE Harry/Sirius book in the series (I mean PoA was perhaps as much so, but ofc, Harry thought of Sirius much differently for most of that book) and I'm finding as I read it for the second time that it is moving up my personal rankings. I also feel like OOTP is the first time where we really see Ron starting to mature a little bit, where as in the past Ron was always willing to defend Hermione against insults and show his jealousy when she took an interest in other boys, this is where Ron finally seems to begin complimenting Hermione more often, either to her directly or to Harry. It seem Ron is growing and appreciating Hermione on a new level, although his maturity still has a long way to go at this point in the series. So any thought, opinions etc... on how others view OOTP are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :king:

Ok, I will be waiting for you. But, you talking in English and I talking in Spanish it will be very difficult so... lol :P

As much as I like Dan, Rupert and Emma playing the main characters, I sometimes wonder what would have happened if WB waited for all the books to be completed before starting to shoot the movies.

Would they have been closer to the original? Would we have had a more 'canon' R/Hr relationship?

I guess we'll never know...

I think the movies would be closer to the books. And the movies would be more coherent and consistent. No contradictions, no plotholes. Case in point: in DH1 Dobby enthusiastically greets his Mr Wheezy, says it's nice to see him again. Well, unfortunately Ron and Dobby never met in the movies before. So when and where did they meet? I guess something like that wouldn't have happened had the movie makers known all the movies. Also, the movie makers would have a much better understanding of which parts to keep and which parts to cut. But then we wouldn't have had the pleasure to see Dan, Rupert and Emma as our fave trio and that is downright unacceptable. :)

I also feel like OOTP is the first time where we really see Ron starting to mature a little bit, where as in the past Ron was always willing to defend Hermione against insults and show his jealousy when she took an interest in other boys, this is where Ron finally seems to begin complimenting Hermione more often, either to her directly or to Harry. It seem Ron is growing and appreciating Hermione on a new level, although his maturity still has a long way to go at this point in the series. So any thought, opinions etc... on how others view OOTP are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :king:

I absolutely agree, Jon. On first sight, there doesn't seem to happen all that much in OotP with regards to R/Hr. But I always found that OotP presented a milestone in the development of their relationship. For exact the same reasons you already mentioned. Ron and Hermione have always worked together very good to help Harry, but in OotP this is brought to another level. They are much more on the same side. In earlier books, it was often Harry and his buddy Ron against Hermione the voice of reason. In OotP, Ron more and more takes Hermione's side. Like for example, when Hermione suggests that Harry teaches them DADA, Harry finds that idea ridiculous and looks for Ron for confirmation. Ron however supports Hermione's idea and that's when Harry gives it a second thought. Hermione also begins to rely on Ron's opinions more and more. Harry even once thinks Ron and Hermione behave like Mr and Mrs Weasley (meaning Arthur and Molly, but how clairvoiant you were Harry :D )

Sorry for the double, but I just found this on another forum. On Imdb they voted for the scenes they looked forward to the most in DH2. Here it is from No. 32 to No. 1

32nd - Harry Repairing His Wand

31st - 'Not my Daughter you *****!'

30th - Harry Entering Voldemorts Mind

29th - Hobsmede/Aberforth

28th - Harry Performing The Cruciatus Curse On Carrow

27th - Epilogue

26th - Battle Victims (Tonks, Lupin etc)

25th - Bellatrix Dueling Hermione, Luna, and Ginny

24th - The Evacuation Of Hogwarts

23rd - The DA

22nd - Fred's Death/Hermione Consoling Ron

21st - Snapes Speech And Harry Calling Him Out

20th - Ron punching Draco

19th - Dumbledore's Backstory

18th - Harry's walk in the forrest

17th - The peniseve scene/Harry is a Horcrux/Dumbledore planned his death

16th - Harry's Death

15th - Badass McGonagall/Teachers Unite

14th - The Battle Of Hogwarts/Magical Creatures

13th - Nagini Vs Neville

12th - The Shrieking Shack/ Snapes Demise/'Look At Me'

11th - The Dragon Escape/Swimming To Shore/The Trio Joking

10th - The Room Of Requirement/The Fiendfire/Saving Draco

9th - Harry Defeating Voldy

8th - Hagrid Carrying Harry/friends' reactions

7th - The Lestranges Vault/Burning Treasures

6th - The Polyjuice Potion Swap - Hermione and Bellatrix

5th - The Prince's Tale

4th - Neville Kicking Some Evil Wizard ***

3rd - Gringotts Sequence

2nd - The chamber of Secrets/Destruction Of The Cup

1st - Ron And Hermiones Kiss

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926084/.../176429437?p=1

I just had to LoL and squee at this. :D

Jon, I think your question was more directed at me, as I am the only one of the two you mentioned who is both a Sirius/Harry lover and a R/Hr shipper. :lol:

I must admit that I have a love-hate relationship with OotP. One the one hand I also feel that we got plenty of evolvement in regards to our favourite couple.

One of my all time favourite moments is this one:

'Good luck, Ron,' said Hermione, standing on tiptoe and kissing him on the cheek. 'And you, Harry -'

Ron seemed to come to himself slightly as they walked back across the Great Hall. He touched the spot on his face where Hermione had kissed him, looking puzzled, as though he was not quite sure what had just happened. -

Chapter 19, Page 358 (British), Page 404 (American)

:ohyeah::wub:

On the other hand, I cannot ignore the angst-filled moments surrounding Sirius' death. To this day, his death remains the one that touched me the most, mainly due to what Sirius meant for Harry.

Sirius brought new hope for Harry, the promise of a love-filled home and someone who loved him for who he was.

So yes, a love-hate relationship would be the best way to describe my feelings towards the Order of the Phoenix book.

I love it much more than I hate it though, as I simply think that any book that can make me feel such real pain, is a seriously worthy piece of literature. :)

Yeah, the emotions that all the HP books can elicit are quite powerful, which is a mark of what great literature the whole series is vida.

Thanks for answering vida, I know directing questions to individuals can be somewhat limiting to conversation, which is why I try not to make a practice of it.

Ofc, I already knew some of your and Kim's opinons on OOTP too. I know it was not her favorite HP book either in the series. I'm loving a lot of the little R/Hr moments and the interactions between Harry and Sirius as I read it now. :king:

Oh, and Luciana, if anything can transcend the barriers of language it's the Harry Potter series, so we'll do just fine! :lol:

Sorry for the double, but I just found this on another forum. On Imdb they voted for the scenes they looked forward to the most in DH2. Here it is from No. 32 to No. 1

Our couple's kiss is #1, yes! It should also be #2 and #3 most favourite moment as well! :lol:

I agree so much to this. I can't wait for THE KISS. :ohyeah: