#1 Mrs Duck

Mrs Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:37 AM

I remember the first time I read Harry Potter so clearly so I thought it might be interesting to hear your stories too. :)

For me it was New Years 2001/2002 which I'd spent with my cousin. I was so doubtful towards Harry Potter (even hated it at some points) but my cousin convinced me to read the first book, so I borrowed it and on the way home on the train I started reading. :) After just a few sentences I was crazy hooked and after the first chapter I texted my parents saying how awesome the book is. The rest is history B)

Share!

#2 Strawberry

Strawberry

Energetic member

• Water
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationHogsmeade

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:32 AM

late 2001, was on my way to my dads and he had this book on his car that looked interesting, so i asked him about it and he explained what it was about, after that in the few next weeks he started reading it for me ;o
then he promised to take me to see the movie if i finished it so i read it all ;o

#3 Fenella

Fenella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationChemnitz - Germany

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

I can't remember the exact day, but it was, when Goblet of Fire came out in Germany. I saw lots of posters all over favourite book store and at this time i HATED Harry Potter.
All kids were talking about and at school a friend of mine made a presentation about the first book and it was annoying. This day was really really hard for me. I had to go to the dentist, it was rainy and cold ... and in the evening I spoke with my best friend and she was telling about Harry Potter too. I HATED it.

The next day my mum bought book two for me. I read it in one day. After that book three and four and at the end book one. :P XD

The rest ist history. I love the books and films and happy, that I have this memory *__*

Posted Image

#4 hobbitses

hobbitses

Devoted Member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

i used to be doubtful towards harry potter as well

my friends dragged me along to see harry potter and the chamber of secrets, and i absolutely LOVED it lol couldn't believe i was so negative towards it. then i went home and watched the philosphers stone.
the next day i 'borrowed' my sisters prisoner of azbakan book lol

so yeah, i started reading the books at the end of 2002 :)

tumblr_mwkq8uS91t1rkbi4ao6_r1_250.gif
Boma's gift. Jade's gift. Ellen's gift. Lindy's gift.
sisters: Ellen & Arie
jersey shore buddy: Sarah

#5 Mrs Duck

Mrs Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

late 2001, was on my way to my dads and he had this book on his car that looked interesting, so i asked him about it and he explained what it was about, after that in the few next weeks he started reading it for me ;o
then he promised to take me to see the movie if i finished it so i read it all ;o

Awesome :D My mom read the first book before me too... haha but she knew I was so negative so recommending it was useless :P

I can't remember the exact day, but it was, when Goblet of Fire came out in Germany. I saw lots of posters all over favourite book store and at this time i HATED Harry Potter.
All kids were talking about and at school a friend of mine made a presentation about the first book and it was annoying. This day was really really hard for me. I had to go to the dentist, it was rainy and cold ... and in the evening I spoke with my best friend and she was telling about Harry Potter too. I HATED it.

The next day my mum bought book two for me. I read it in one day. After that book three and four and at the end book one. :P XD

The rest ist history. I love the books and films and happy, that I have this memory *__*

i used to be doubtful towards harry potter as well

my friends dragged me along to see harry potter and the chamber of secrets, and i absolutely LOVED it lol couldn't believe i was so negative towards it. then i went home and watched the philosphers stone.
the next day i 'borrowed' my sisters prisoner of azbakan book lol

so yeah, i started reading the books at the end of 2002 :)

Insane how you both were so negative too at first! ^_^ Haha, goes to show one can't judge anything... (that's why I read Twilight, now I can say I don't like it).

#6 ~Roni~

~Roni~

Energetic member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHogwarts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

I don't remember the exact day, but I remember being in the 4th grade, which was in... 2000.
My cousin read it and my parents saw how it got him into reading, so they brought me the book. I wasn't into reading at all at that time lol so it took me forever to finish the book. BUT I remember the moment I finished it, I ran into the living room and told my mom "MOM I WANT THE SECOND BOOK!!! BUY ME THE SECOND BOOK!" lol.
and that's when I got really hooked up, while reading COS. I used to wake up at 6am on Saturday morning and just read for like 3 hours until my family woke up :P
and of course, the rest is history :D

I remember how excited I was when I heard there's going to be a movie, I remember collecting all these pieces of news from the newspapers that had pics of the actors or the poster of PS, I used to cut them all and save them lol. And I remember watching it for the first time and thinking "Omg that Emma is such a good actress!!!" lol I honestly remember that! :P

Edited by ~Roni~, 11 February 2011 - 01:10 PM.

All was Well. ||Posted Image

Posted Image

muahahaha.

#7 130671

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Mood:::/
  • LocationBetween a rock and a hard place ?

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Lol....I remember very clearly I never read Harry Potter!:king:

#8 sarahelizabeth

sarahelizabeth

Extreme Poster

• Closed Accounts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,809 posts
  • LocationTree Hill

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

When I first Read Harry potter I was 11 and My Grandmas Friend from work was going get rid of all her harry potter books and I was no No i'll take them and every sense then i been hooked

wanna keep in touch add me on facebook < sarahs facebook <3

I am a pet Penguin My owner is tara Posted Image

Js buddy:Cat. Aunt:Dina Cycling Buddy: Kimmers Mom: Arie
Brothers:Chandler lil chris ardi joe loverboy Andrew
sisters:Lindy stef amber ellen Kimmie! Grandpa big chris
Great grandpa Jon Great Grandma Noura Neice Karen

#9 Slash

Slash

Devoted Member

• Earth
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,593 posts
  • Mood::Rock n Roll
  • LocationIn Chat

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

started reading it 2 months ago lol...
Take Me Down to the Paradise City Iii|; )

Posted ImagePosted Image
the beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the beauty of her face, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart - the place where love resides

Twins: Arie <3.Children: Denisse and Tom Sister:Alex, Kim, Karen.
Niece: Amby Brother: Chandler, P.Jon is my grandad.Dina is the amazing kouhai.

#10 Mrs Duck

Mrs Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

Lol....I remember very clearly I never read Harry Potter!:king:

started reading it 2 months ago lol...

Not giving male fans a good reputation :lol:

#11 130671

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Mood:::/
  • LocationBetween a rock and a hard place ?

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

Not giving male fans a good reputation :lol:

If it was called "Hermione Granger", i might have given it a try.

I like to be a fan of ill repute...lol

#12 trixie

trixie

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:14 AM

I started to read HP PoA when GOF first was released. So this was LOONG time ago.
I had never heard of HP before. But there where some classmates that was very eager about going to a book shop to get this book.
so we got there but all the GoF books had been sold out so we could only get the first three books. I bought the third one. Don't ask me why.
I read it and loved it and got the rest as soon as I could.
there's nothing I N T E R E S T I N G about being P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

#13 LostInTransition

LostInTransition

Dedicated Member

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationNewcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

I read PS - OOTP all in the space of around six weeks, after I saw PoA at the cinema in summer 2004. The remaining books I read as and when they came out.

#14 Jo.

Jo.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

I saw Philosophers Stone in the cinema, and then read all of the books (well, all of the ones that were out). The rest i bought on the day of release.

#15 Antares

Antares

• Moderators
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

I can't remember the exact day, but it was, when Goblet of Fire came out in Germany.

Funnily enough, that was exactly when I started reading it. That's got to be around October 2000. I was given the first book by a friend and although I usually don't read a lot of fiction, I made an exception for the Harry Potter books. :)
Wisdom is the ability to cope.
Michael Ramsey

#16 ..::blueangel0::..

..::blueangel0::..

Energetic member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Mood::hangover o.O
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

18th February of 2000 :D I got the first book as a present for my b-day :D when everybody left I started reading the book :D and I kept reading for hours and hours and it was already dawn when I finished it... I ran down the stairs with tears in my eyes to my mom and said : "mom, I know that yesterday was my birthday but I would really, really, really love if you could buy me the second book".
and the next morning my mom bought me the COS :D

and thats how and when it all started :D

Even Angels cry,
If you don't believe my words just look up at the sky,
Do you really think it's rain?
It's nothing more than heaven's pain,
Even Angels cry . . .

Fan Irresponsible Rebel Economic

#17 halleluJah

halleluJah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Mood::sublime
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

2002...when all my friends were freaking out about it and instructed me to read it B).
Help! I'm stuck on a rock floating through space

#18 Mrs Duck

Mrs Duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

Funnily enough, that was exactly when I started reading it. That's got to be around October 2000. I was given the first book by a friend and although I usually don't read a lot of fiction, I made an exception for the Harry Potter books. :)

Most likely, GoF was released in 2000...

18th February of 2000 :D I got the first book as a present for my b-day :D when everybody left I started reading the book :D and I kept reading for hours and hours and it was already dawn when I finished it... I ran down the stairs with tears in my eyes to my mom and said : "mom, I know that yesterday was my birthday but I would really, really, really love if you could buy me the second book".
and the next morning my mom bought me the COS :D

and thats how and when it all started :D

Awesome that you got the date and all. :) I was given PS in ENGLISH on my 12th birthday June 20th 2002 and started reading it without caring about the guests... :lol: But then I'd gone through all (then) four books in Swedish, most likely more than once.

#19 ..::blueangel0::..

..::blueangel0::..

Energetic member

• Fire
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Mood::hangover o.O
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:03 PM

well, I read first four books on croatian :D and then I had to wait couple of month for translation and I hated that... so I ordered it online on english :D

Even Angels cry,
If you don't believe my words just look up at the sky,
Do you really think it's rain?
It's nothing more than heaven's pain,
Even Angels cry . . .

Fan Irresponsible Rebel Economic

#20 Jade

Jade

Extreme Poster

• Wind
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,065 posts
  • Mood::Content

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

A few days after it come out. My mom brought them and said they were brilliant so I started to read them. Took me a while though, I was only little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users