The Emma-Watson.net Forum

When Did You First Read Harry Potter?

I remember the first time I read Harry Potter so clearly so I thought it might be interesting to hear your stories too. :)

For me it was New Years 2001/2002 which I'd spent with my cousin. I was so doubtful towards Harry Potter (even hated it at some points) but my cousin convinced me to read the first book, so I borrowed it and on the way home on the train I started reading. :) After just a few sentences I was crazy hooked and after the first chapter I texted my parents saying how awesome the book is. The rest is history B)

Share!

late 2001, was on my way to my dads and he had this book on his car that looked interesting, so i asked him about it and he explained what it was about, after that in the few next weeks he started reading it for me ;o

then he promised to take me to see the movie if i finished it so i read it all ;o

I can't remember the exact day, but it was, when Goblet of Fire came out in Germany. I saw lots of posters all over favourite book store and at this time i HATED Harry Potter.

All kids were talking about and at school a friend of mine made a presentation about the first book and it was annoying. This day was really really hard for me. I had to go to the dentist, it was rainy and cold ... and in the evening I spoke with my best friend and she was telling about Harry Potter too. I HATED it.

The next day my mum bought book two for me. I read it in one day. After that book three and four and at the end book one. :P XD

The rest ist history. I love the books and films and happy, that I have this memory *__*

i used to be doubtful towards harry potter as well

my friends dragged me along to see harry potter and the chamber of secrets, and i absolutely LOVED it lol couldn't believe i was so negative towards it. then i went home and watched the philosphers stone.

the next day i 'borrowed' my sisters prisoner of azbakan book lol

so yeah, i started reading the books at the end of 2002 :)

late 2001, was on my way to my dads and he had this book on his car that looked interesting, so i asked him about it and he explained what it was about, after that in the few next weeks he started reading it for me ;o

then he promised to take me to see the movie if i finished it so i read it all ;o

Awesome :D My mom read the first book before me too... haha but she knew I was so negative so recommending it was useless :P

I can't remember the exact day, but it was, when Goblet of Fire came out in Germany. I saw lots of posters all over favourite book store and at this time i HATED Harry Potter.

All kids were talking about and at school a friend of mine made a presentation about the first book and it was annoying. This day was really really hard for me. I had to go to the dentist, it was rainy and cold ... and in the evening I spoke with my best friend and she was telling about Harry Potter too. I HATED it.

The next day my mum bought book two for me. I read it in one day. After that book three and four and at the end book one. :P XD

The rest ist history. I love the books and films and happy, that I have this memory *__*

i used to be doubtful towards harry potter as well

my friends dragged me along to see harry potter and the chamber of secrets, and i absolutely LOVED it lol couldn't believe i was so negative towards it. then i went home and watched the philosphers stone.

the next day i 'borrowed' my sisters prisoner of azbakan book lol

so yeah, i started reading the books at the end of 2002 :)

Insane how you both were so negative too at first! ^_^ Haha, goes to show one can't judge anything... (that's why I read Twilight, now I can say I don't like it).

I don't remember the exact day, but I remember being in the 4th grade, which was in... 2000.

My cousin read it and my parents saw how it got him into reading, so they brought me the book. I wasn't into reading at all at that time lol so it took me forever to finish the book. BUT I remember the moment I finished it, I ran into the living room and told my mom "MOM I WANT THE SECOND BOOK!!! BUY ME THE SECOND BOOK!" lol.

and that's when I got really hooked up, while reading COS. I used to wake up at 6am on Saturday morning and just read for like 3 hours until my family woke up :P

and of course, the rest is history :D

I remember how excited I was when I heard there's going to be a movie, I remember collecting all these pieces of news from the newspapers that had pics of the actors or the poster of PS, I used to cut them all and save them lol. And I remember watching it for the first time and thinking "Omg that Emma is such a good actress!!!" lol I honestly remember that! :P

Edited by ~Roni~

I started to read HP PoA when GOF first was released. So this was LOONG time ago.

I had never heard of HP before. But there where some classmates that was very eager about going to a book shop to get this book.

so we got there but all the GoF books had been sold out so we could only get the first three books. I bought the third one. Don't ask me why.

I read it and loved it and got the rest as soon as I could.

I can't remember the exact day, but it was, when Goblet of Fire came out in Germany.

Funnily enough, that was exactly when I started reading it. That's got to be around October 2000. I was given the first book by a friend and although I usually don't read a lot of fiction, I made an exception for the Harry Potter books. :)

18th February of 2000 :D I got the first book as a present for my b-day :D when everybody left I started reading the book :D and I kept reading for hours and hours and it was already dawn when I finished it... I ran down the stairs with tears in my eyes to my mom and said : "mom, I know that yesterday was my birthday but I would really, really, really love if you could buy me the second book".

and the next morning my mom bought me the COS :D

and thats how and when it all started :D

Funnily enough, that was exactly when I started reading it. That's got to be around October 2000. I was given the first book by a friend and although I usually don't read a lot of fiction, I made an exception for the Harry Potter books. :)

Most likely, GoF was released in 2000...

18th February of 2000 :D I got the first book as a present for my b-day :D when everybody left I started reading the book :D and I kept reading for hours and hours and it was already dawn when I finished it... I ran down the stairs with tears in my eyes to my mom and said : "mom, I know that yesterday was my birthday but I would really, really, really love if you could buy me the second book".

and the next morning my mom bought me the COS :D

and thats how and when it all started :D

Awesome that you got the date and all. :) I was given PS in ENGLISH on my 12th birthday June 20th 2002 and started reading it without caring about the guests... :lol: But then I'd gone through all (then) four books in Swedish, most likely more than once.

• 3 weeks later...

I was very doubtful too, my mum got given a dodgy copy of the philosophers stone on video, me and my nrother were both like, what have you got that for? But we watched it and loved it, a few days later I went to ASDA with my mum and saw a box set of the first 4 books and bought them

loved the books too.... My brother never got into yhe books:p

oh and eventually I did buy a proper copyy of the film....ended up getting it on VHS and DVD so made up for mums pirate copy lol

My twin brother and my sister had been reading the Harry Potter books for years and telling me how good they were, but I've always been a person who doesn't like to "jump on the bandwagon" so to speak, and while I've been a avid reader, I avoided the books and the movies. Eventually I swallowed my pride after watching the first three movies during the Family Channel's Harry Potter marathon in December of 2009. I purchased the entire series of books on Dec. 31 of 2009 and finished reading the series on January 30 of 2010. I've been in love with the series (the books especially) ever since, and they were the impetus for me joining the old Emma Watson forums in March of last year. Actually I believe that my one year anniversary of HP related internet chat is in three days now! :lol:

I'm currently reading the series for the second time and have just finished Order of the Phoenix, and while I've been reading other things and moving through the series much more deliberately this time, I have been enjoying it even more as I discover new things.

I read the first three in late 2000/ early 2001. Book 4 towards the end of 2001...

And then suffered the agonizing wait for book 5, then book 6 and finally book 7. All three I read straightaway after publication, even queeing up at the bookstore to get my copy on release date. :D

• 2 weeks later...

It was early 2000, I think in January (might have been late 1999, I'm not sure). I was 12 years old back than and had just started readings books that were primarily written for adults (I really fell for the crime novels by Donna Leon, I remember). Friends had recommended the series to my parents and they bought the first two books at the same time in early winter. I read the text on the cover, it was all about some child attending a school for magic and I thought "well, I'm over this, I'm reading books for adults now".

The books collected dust for weeks and then my father came down with a cold. He was in bed for a couple of days and finally ran out of books he hadn't read yet. He asked if any of us had something he could occupy himself with and I said "I do have those Harry Potter books, do you want to have them?". My father really liked the stories, my mother started reading them days after that and suddenly our discussions at lunch and dinner were all about Quidditch and Hogwarts. I got really annoyed because I hadn't got a clue what they were talking about. As soon as my mother had finished reading the first one I grabbed it, took it back to my room and fell in love with the story.

I also remember how there were reports about a possible movie. I didn't like this idea at all, because I feared they wouldn't do justice to the books. In the end I loved them.